Thursday, July 3, 2014

Before the Storm

I was at the nesting colony late yesterday afternoon checking on how "prepared" our chicks were for the challenging weather conditions they are facing today as Tropical Storm/Hurricane Arthur approaches. I think our postings are in for some pounding but am optimistic that our chicks are getting stronger each day and will be able to find a safe place to ride out the wind, rain, and rising tides.

Here's what I saw....

Black Skimmers

Yep, those are feathers..... not fluffy chick fuzz!

Lunch!

When it's hot outside, it's time for a nap.

Chick imitating naptime

Thanks, mom!

Maybe if I get a running start.....

One of these times these wings are going to lift me up!

Common Terns

These are the "three amigos" who have been hanging out by the edge of the dune for several weeks.

Time to feed the chicks

Look at me... I'm turning into an adult!

I'm not sure who's looking at whom in this shot.

Those wings are ready to be used for more than stretching.

The "three amigos" learning to fly.

A great comparison of chick and adult

Common tern chicks are frequently seen at the water's edge


Tomorrow morning we"ll be at the gazebo for our Friday morning bird walk. 
Keeping our fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment